Quite some problems regarding Engine Initialization / Shutdown

tec.imp

Hey there,

as the topic stated I does run into some issues regarding LW Engine init / shutdown handling.

I'm working right now on a dedicated server and I'm unable to create the LW engine without poping up an graphics window in my face. Even "better" I just can't shutdown the engine without shutting down my whole application.

I'm really lost on how to init the engine WITHOUT an graphics window, I just don't need it. And is there a way to shutdown the engine without terminating my application?

Thanks in advance.

Mfg Imp

I think it is impossible at this moment.

I was looking for something like that too for the server component of my MMORPG. The reason I would like to use the engine in the server component is principally for the AI of the NPCs, to avoid passing through walls when following a player or just walking around randomly, and to calculate LOS (line of sight). If someone have some suggestion to solve these problem I would appreciate very much. Else I have to go forward using a player for LOS and path calculation (but it means more network traffic and hacking chance).

?? FRANCESCO CROCETTI ??

http://skaredcreations.com

Thanks ZioRed,

that is bad news. Would it be appropriate to make a feature request for it, i mean there must be otheres who like to see this. And besides it's quite a "rude" way to no letting you shutdown the engine without getting your application terminated aswell.

Any suggestions?

Mfg Imp

I have seen inside engine.cpp the content of Terminate and perhaps you may manually call EndRender() and then call the FreeLibrary code by yourself when you need it. Well this way seems to me more a hack that the right way, then I agree that a feature request should be best, but until that... :)

?? FRANCESCO CROCETTI ??

There is presently no way to run the engine without graphics initialization.

You actually can quit the engine if you just unload the DLL from your program.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

There is presently no way to run the engine without graphics initialization.

Then for now I have to find another way for AI.

You actually can quit the engine if you just unload the DLL from your program.

But may be nice a command like FreeEngine which free any resources, or can we call EndRender() to avoid it?

?? FRANCESCO CROCETTI ??

In case someone cares, I managed to get atleast the finalization part done.

It does work just like Josh said, it does unload the Dll. Within my dedicated server i do have two threads, one main thread taking care of the gui and one of handling the game stuff aka the server part. The server part does load the lw engine and other stuff and when it is done it destroys the thread and the engine dll with it because its within the same process.

So the next part will be writing a null opengl32.dll. Anyone here who actually has done something like that or can me point to a already "finished" wrapper?

Mfg Imp